DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I don't know man i went back and bought all the top tier mbq and the raw driver game bested them easily. Not to say they weren't good but tweets have changed and mids have many mm more travel than the mbq

·
Registered
87 Mustang Convertible, 14 F-150, 10 MX-3
41 Posts
I don't know man i went back and bought all the top tier mbq and the raw driver game bested them easily. Not to say they weren't good but tweets have changed and mids have many mm more travel than the mbq
you are talking about current or recent products presumably. I'm comparing older stuff vs new. Raw drivers have come a long way in the past decade vs before that;s for sure.
I'm talking mid fi retail level stuff is where MB and those other brands really offered performance value and durability.

Of course there are lots of gems at various sizes and price points. My favourite installs were $2500 systems that sounded and rocked like something worth double the money. Thats what a good installer does between knowing the best product and how to make it all work, $$ efficiently.
Big smiles and thank yous were the order of the day.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Ah you mean regular series mbq offering a taste of high end for a good price. Maybe you're right but I'd put the Stevens component set, and the si component set. Also heard some ground zero and b2 components i was impressed with. It's out there man it's just now at every dealer across town like it used to be

·
Registered
18,263 Posts
and half German, half Austrian.....don't ask for my opinion if you don' like the truth, lol. I lived in Germany Switzerland and Austria, have family there and certainly carry the DNA of Germanic self assured superiority...
ummmmm. are you saying what i think you're saying?

·
Registered
87 Mustang Convertible, 14 F-150, 10 MX-3
41 Posts
Ah you mean regular series mbq offering a taste of high end for a good price. Maybe you're right but I'd put the Stevens component set, and the si component set. Also heard some ground zero and b2 components i was impressed with. It's out there man it's just now at every dealer across town like it used to be
Have you ever heard an old MB Quart high end install ? The brand absolutely DOMINATED Sound Q across North America and elsewhere; budget was the last thing on people's mind to win an IASCA competition, a regional or national event. Would be curious to read your reaction. New isn't necessarily better, altho it can be.

Probably similar to the analog vs DSP disagreements, digital amps vs old school unlimited current A/B, etc.
New Car Audio Product Development is always about profit, saving production costs, hitting market price targets first....'quality and performance" is usually way down the list, certainly below specifications/marketing bullshit and being able to stay in business. That is a fact; I worked in that world for almost 10 years and the survivors have managed to leverage China as the bread basket; anything still built elsewhere and to those levels is outrageously expensive and esoteric by all standards. I guess change is always happening.

Plenty of signs the car audio world has fallen down when reading most product specifications and the new trend of 'big' power and inefficient speakers along with meaningless amp power specifications, low damping factors and all kinds of digital voodoo that doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
Have you ever heard an old MB Quart high end install ? The brand absolutely DOMINATED Sound Q across North America and elsewhere; budget was the last thing on people's mind to win an IASCA competition, a regional or national event. Would be curious to read your reaction. New isn't necessarily better, altho it can be.

Probably similar to the analog vs DSP disagreements, digital amps vs old school unlimited current A/B, etc.
New Car Audio Product Development is always about profit, saving production costs, hitting market price targets first....'quality and performance" is usually way down the list, certainly below specifications/marketing bullshit and being able to stay in business. That is a fact; I worked in that world for almost 10 years and the survivors have managed to leverage China as the bread basket; anything still built elsewhere and to those levels is outrageously expensive and esoteric by all standards. I guess change is always happening.

Plenty of signs the car audio world has fallen down when reading most product specifications and the new trend of 'big' power and inefficient speakers along with meaningless amp power specifications, low damping factors and all kinds of digital voodoo that doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I know they did, i ran them i competed with them, besides the Boston's they were there best around. We aren't doing kick panels anymore either so the larger format tweets of the current crop helps out too

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have never heard MB Quart speakers, but I did just buy a set of QWS-100 4” mids. I did only based on their reputation. I needed a low profile driver and these fit the bill.

The German made Q line seem to have a good reputation, so I took the leap.

I will be using them in a MK5 Golf/Rabbit/GTI/Jetta 3 way front stage in factory locations. With the midbass located in rear of the front door near your hip, the midrange is needed to really pick up the slack.

I hope they live up to their reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Ok heard a today guys focal access components and did a bit of rew. Those are modern day quarts at a $200 discount. Quarts are finished!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts