Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Sounddeadenershowdown.com CLD Tiles

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total Thickness - 80mil

Constraining Layer Thickness - 8mil

0.72 lbs per square foot

Notes - Product measures to spec. Gooey butyl, but not as gooey as dynamat or roadkill expert.

Bare Metal Frequency Response

Damped Metal Frequency Response

Overlay of Bare Metal vs Damped Metal Frequency Response

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

·
Registered
171 Posts
Am i reading this right? SDS and Alpha damp come at such a high price yet the cheaper guys (stinger, knu) seem to perform very similar. Whats the point of spending the extra cash?

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
Am i reading this right? SDS and Alpha damp come at such a high price yet the cheaper guys (stinger, knu) seem to perform very similar. Whats the point of spending the extra cash?
That is part of the reason for this testing. To determine which products actually perform as they claim and to see what is actually worth what they charge compared to the rest of the market. I've noticed that some manufacturers have recently introduced SIGNIFICANT price reductions to be more competitive with where the market currently is. Who know if they'll be temporary or permanent.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Definitely not reading this right. SDS performs significantly better than Knu and stinger.

Stinger has an 8db drop in amplitude on the main resonant frequency.

Alphadamp has about an 11db drop in amplitude on the main resonant frequency.

Knu Resonance Controld has about an 8db drop in amplitude on the main resonant freqency.

SDS has about a 14db drop in amplitude on the main resonant frequency.

Furthermore, pay very good attention to the waterfall plots. You want the damper to roll off vibration as fast as possible. SDS and STP Bomb do this the best so far. Both do much better than Knu or Stinger (or alphadamp).

Admittedly, its difficult to compare waterfall plots in the format the results are currently in. It will be much better put together when the results are all finished. Posting results now is more to give people an idea of whats going on. I didn't want to just hold on to them and keep them secret until I was finished.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great work so far, I would be curious to see what would happen if you put a couple more layers of the peel n seal since it's so thin.

Edit: Time to buy STP before the price goes up. Lmao

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,

nice testing!

At the end of the test procedure, i would suggest to show the correlation between weight and effect to find out how much the consistency of the butyl/asphalt and the constraining layer thickness add to the result.

As far, it looks like "the heavier the better" to me...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Great work so far, I would be curious to see what would happen if you put a couple more layers of the peel n seal since it's so thin.

Edit: Time to buy STP before the price goes up. Lmao
I will definitely be doing a multi-layer peel n seal test, since everyone claims "I can put 4 layers of peel n seal for the cost of one layer of expensive stuff".

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Hi there,

nice testing!

At the end of the test procedure, i would suggest to show the correlation between weight and effect to find out how much the consistency of the butyl/asphalt and the constraining layer thickness add to the result.

As far, it looks like "the heavier the better" to me...
That's definitely not the case. While the leader right now is heavier than everything else, second place is lighter than two brands that perform worse, and third place is lighter than two brands that perform worse as well.

Unfortunately, were not going to be able to just do a correlation of how much different thicknesses matter, as the butyl rubber (and asphalt for those brands with asphalt) all seem to have different formulations. They all handle, peel, adhere, and come off different from each other, so you can't ignore that in comparing them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will definitely be doing a multi-layer peel n seal test, since everyone claims "I can put 4 layers of peel n seal for the cost of one layer of expensive stuff".
You sir, are the best! I wouldn't go past 3 or 4 layers as the price wouldn't be enough difference for the extra work.

It's also nice to see how much difference it makes by adding more layers.

When can we expect your own line of products? :D

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Did you get some Raam BXTII on your list yet?

Had to edit that, apparently alphadamp comes up auto-tragically when you use the whole name of the company that makes BXTII

Whoever created that little code re-write has a small penis and very little security in a product.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you get some Raam BXTII on your list yet?

Had to edit that, apparently alphadamp comes up auto-tragically when you use the whole name of the company that makes BXTII

Whoever created that little code re-write has a small penis and very little security in a product.
I'm hoping to see some test results on the BXTII as well.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I'm hoping to see some test results on the BXTII as well.
I was hoping to as well, but so far the leads I've had on product donations have come up short. In the future, if things pick up for me I'll get some on my own.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Dynamat Xtreme

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total thickness - 67mil

Constraining Layer Thickness - 4mil

0.47 lbs per square foot

Notes - Very gooey butyl. Removes fairly easy, but leaves behind pieces of butyl.

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
KnuKoncepts Kolossus

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total Thickness - 100mil

Constraining Layer Thickness - 4mil

0.96 lbs per square foot

Notes - Constraining layer doesn't measure to spec. Everything else is relatively close. Easy to remove, and clean to remove.

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
28.75% vs 95% coverage using KnuKonceptz Kolossus

Overlay of Bare Metal vs 28.75% Coverage Damped Metal Frequency Response

Overlay of Bare Metal vs 95% Coverage Damped Metal Frequency Response

28.75% Damped Metal Waterfall

95% Damped Metal Waterfall

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
And people say there's diminishing returns past 25%. That's a very significant drop under 100Hz.
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if the difference will be as great for the best of this lot tested however. If I recall, Don from SDS, stated that the CLD has to be top notch to be able to use 25% coverage. Should be interesting to see results like that on all of the tested samples. Would it be as great with say STP Bomb?

261 - 280 of 1726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.