DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
701 - 720 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
you realize that SPL means sound PRESSURE level, and that air is a medium that has actual mass. if you move enough air, it will impart a force on all objects that moving mass of air encounters. that includes the roof and glass of a car, interior panels, and yes, all other speakers in the car. unplug the mids and play the same song at high volume, you will see them moving as well. the thought of them being damaged as a result of normal use (playing music in a car) seems quite remote, to the degree that it probably seems like some sort of an attempt at trolling if you are emailing or calling a manufacturer to ask them if this will damage the speaker.

everything is working as it is supposed to and the tweeter will be just fine.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
you realize that SPL means sound PRESSURE level, and that air is a medium that has actual mass. if you move enough air, it will impart a force on all objects that moving mass of air encounters. that includes the roof and glass of a car, interior panels, and yes, all other speakers in the car. unplug the mids and play the same song at high volume, you will see them moving as well. the thought of them being damaged as a result of normal use (playing music in a car) seems quite remote, to the degree that it probably seems like some sort of an attempt at trolling if you are emailing or calling a manufacturer to ask them if this will damage the speaker.

everything is working as it is supposed to and the tweeter will be just fine.
your crazy..... a 2000$ set of tweeters moving that much..... and I’ve never seen a Tweeter move in my life..... trolling .... really???? I mean , if it was a ****box set of 165a1s or someof the lame focals , I would just go for it

I don’t have that kind of money to throw a a speaker if something happens to it....

subsequently five minutes ago I did finally get an answer from Orca ...

Don’t go past 110 on my sub or it “might” be an issue ..... so we’ll see....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Lol I can tell, ur gonna still be messing with this system next year this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
your crazy..... a 2000$ set of tweeters moving that much..... and I’ve never seen a Tweeter move in my life..... trolling .... really???? I mean , if it was a ****box set of 165a1s or someof the lame focals , I would just go for it

I don’t have that kind of money to throw a a speaker if something happens to it....

subsequently five minutes ago I did finally get an answer from Orca ...

Don’t go past 110 on my sub or it “might” be an issue ..... so we’ll see....
110dB on the sub?

If so, that might not bode well for people who would like to use the BE tweeters in SQ competition vehicles. Did they say if they considered greater than 110dB "abuse" that wouldn't be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
110dB on the sub?

If so, that might not bode well for people who would like to use the BE tweeters in SQ competition vehicles. Did they say if they considered greater than 110dB "abuse" that wouldn't be covered under warranty?
yeah that’s what he said

pretty amazing that other guy said trolling... that kind of makes me want to pull my hair out and makes blood shoot from my nipples... I should thank him for the lesson on resonance and spl tho... like duh , 1.5mm from a tweeter is perfectly normal , duh

I am a Focal dealer, we use tech-support all the time for all of the products we carry at my store... what the **** is wrong with using tech-support ? so now when I have a problem with a remote start , I’m trolling the tech-support people ? that really pisses me off those kind of comments anyway that wasn’t you (sorry just made me itchy) like why would I waste my time trying to get ahold of someone..... like trolling like a pimple nosed nerd wanting to talk to someone.... so do I need permission to ask a question that is manufacture specific? (Sorry those are rhetorical questions meant to vent lol) .....

Orca of course doesn’t return my phone call I had to know a guy that knew the personal cell phone number of one of the employees I texted him and he was gracious enough to write me back and give me some information. Which was really nice of him to do that.

So he said I could have issues if the sub SPL is over 110...

And the main reason why I even brought this up not only because these speakers move way too much but my friend had the old style tweeters and his domes cracked from his sub basically threw away $2000 and had to buy new ones, and this is now the 4th set that I’ve installed that does this..... I get it , good suspension for open back design... focal doesn’t state anything about the maximum movement of the driver and what is safe or not.... etc etc .... or if it’s part of the design (which it could be) idk

So I really don’t know it wasn’t a clear answer but it was some thing from the vendor basically so yeah it’s a little bit concerning to me at least we could risk it and just go for it I mean there’s thousands of pairs out there that I’ve have not heard any problems except for my friend

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't care how many things you post. The graph says it all.
It would be happy crossed under 800. Saying a 6inch driver plays flat to 6k is worse than saying it has authority at 40 hertz. No. No it doesn't.
You realize some home speakers run 6in drivers up to 3k @ 12db slopes which want a smooth response up to 5.5k to work well with a tweet right?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I understand what he's saying. I also understand you have a 5 way front stage or something.
Utopia and dayton audio? The fact that the two of you agree is enough for me.
Are you saying that for a speaker set to sound, all the drivers need to be of the same make and series?
If that's the case, tell that do every DIY guy that started this forum that have all run away at this point.
I often ask myself why I come back here, because all the DIY stuff that made the forum great has gone and all that is left (for the most part) are the people who know all things, and want everyone to know it.
I miss @Patrick Bateman and all of his off the wall experimental stuff. That's what made this forum great. Does oabeieos 5 way, linear phase, fir filtered craziness make sense to me? No not really, but that's that's the sort of experimental cool sht that actually keeps this forum from being nothing noobs looking for advice that has been asked 1000 times before (which I don't mind that much) and people asking which 5000w amp they should use for their sq subs.
Sorry, I'll rant elsewhere lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are you saying that for a speaker set to sound, all the drivers need to be of the same make and series?
If that's the case, tell that do every DIY guy that started this forum that have all run away at this point.
I often ask myself why I come back here, because all the DIY stuff that made the forum great has gone and all that is left (for the most part) are the people who know all things, and want everyone to know it.
I miss @Patrick Bateman and all of his off the wall experimental stuff. That's what made this forum great. Does oabeieos 5 way, linear phase, fir filtered craziness make sense to me? No not really, but that's that's the sort of experimental cool sht that actually keeps this forum from being nothing noobs looking for advice that has been asked 1000 times before (which I don't mind that much) and people asking which 5000w amp they should use for their sq subs.
Not saying anything except for the simple fact that the graph skiz posted has a peak centered at 150 or 200 or whatever and that 800 hertz that graph is down at least 7 or 8 decibels.
That is not flat. At all. That's the only thing saying.
Do these things sound good?
Idk. Never heard them. The graph is not flat though.
And no 6 inch woofer can play up to 6k flat. Physics says so atleast.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I love it :)
Except not experimental, lots of speakers use 5way with linear phase.... check out HK filters ..... :)

it’s by far the cleanest smoothie I’ve ever drank

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
(especially in a car) some locations have different comb filtering patterns then others.... now imagine the ability to use multiple locations on targeted areas to fill those comb filters, and also maximizing power handling and using locations also to create a realistic sound field.

in a 5 way you can do that, some locations will promote some frequencies in the sound field then others, so make each location work only for what it’s best at.

now imagine a crossover network that sums perfectly no matter and acts mostly as a point source by utilizing each speakers dispersion characteristics to build that sound field..

linear crossovers open doors that are otherwise impossible to do.. it just takes a sober approach and the willingness to have lots of speakers in lots of locations and to go through all the steps necessary to determine the cars acoustics and where the issues are and plan , build and execute the design....

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am a Focal dealer, we use tech-support all the time for all of the products we carry at my store... what the **** is wrong with using tech-support ?

Orca of course doesn’t return my phone call I had to know a guy that knew the personal cell phone number of one of the employees I texted him and he was gracious enough to write me back and give me some information. Which was really nice of him to do that.
Nothing wrong with using tech support as a dealer. Bashing on the supplier for not responding in a timely manner, on a open internet forum. Not great business practice.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Not saying anything except for the simple fact that the graph skiz posted has a peak centered at 150 or 200 or whatever and that 800 hertz that graph is down at least 7 or 8 decibels.
That is not flat. At all. That's the only thing saying.
Do these things sound good?
Idk. Never heard them. The graph is not flat though.
And no 6 inch woofer can play up to 6k flat. Physics says so atleast.
Not necessarily true. Cone materials have come a long way, and have pushed up the upper limit frequency on drivers and will continue to do so. Doing this off axis is a whole other kettle of fish.

But that is fairly flat for a speaker, are there drivers with a more flat response? Yeah of course. Are those graphs that look ruler flat heavily smoothed in their FR graph? Maybe, maybe not.
But now we are getting into the cool things that come of modern technology. You can get away with having a driver that may need a tad of eq to tame because of DSP tech, but may gain a bunch of other sonic benefits from having a design that is optimized in other ways.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Not necessarily true. Cone materials have come a long way, and have pushed up the upper limit frequency on drivers and will continue to do so. Doing this off axis is a whole other kettle of fish.

But that is fairly flat for a speaker, are there drivers with a more flat response? Yeah of course. Are those graphs that look ruler flat heavily smoothed in their FR graph? Maybe, maybe not.
But now we are getting into the cool things that come of modern technology. You can get away with having a driver that may need a tad of eq to tame because of DSP tech, but may gain a bunch of other sonic benefits from having a design that is optimized in other ways.
None of that is in question. This focal driver does not play flat from 40 to 6k. It doesn't. It is physically impossible.
That's all I'm saying. And I'll keep saying it.
No matter the cone material or design.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i know that i had a previous reply that may have seemed less than complimentary on some levels, and for that i apologize, as it was not my intention to make it seem that way. your frustration may have seeped into the way you describe the issue you are perceiving.

i can definitely understand that when you call a company for tech support, that you expect a reply within a reasonable time. that sucks that you seem to have these issues. one thing to keep in your considerations is that to covid issues have really affected businesses and been real.

ORCA historically has had Excellent support services and also occasionally incidents such as those you describe. it might be worth contacting focal directly and ask them to reach out to ORCA to get back to you. often, as you know, the squeaky wheels get the grease.

cheers brother!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
It is
None of that is in question. This focal driver does not play flat from 40 to 6k. It doesn't. It is physically impossible.
That's all I'm saying. And I'll keep saying it.
No matter the cone material or design.
It is possible, just not with any degree of fidelity.... I think that’s what your not understanding.... it’s a “here’s how it measures” sort of thing :.... looking at the on and off axis plots and the impedance a designer can get a very good idea how to approach his implementation

701 - 720 of 787 Posts