'04 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - First Build Log - Page 38 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015   #926
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 194 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart - First Build Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Thanks Steve! How's your car? Competing this year?

Have some changes I'm working through on it, but yes I'm competing. If I get the needed points in the next couple weeks here, I'm looking at doing Iasca and Meca this year at finals.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015   #927
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Cool. Interested to see the changes!

Took some pictures after a wash but I guess it was just a bit too dark for my little camera - they didn't come out as nice as I was hoping but here's a couple that didn't suck too bad. Of course it rained the next day...

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log
Alpine, Helix, Mosconi, Arc, Clarion, JL, Xtant/Morel, Beyma, Acoustic Elegance

Living Room System Build Log
Denon, Behringer, DIYSG, Eminence, Celestion, Denovo, Energy, Alpine
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015   #928
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 236 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Bring up the outer edge eyelid termination point. It makes the headlights look droopy instead of aggressive.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015   #929
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

I agree - but only from some angles. It's weird. From other angles it looks just right and bringing it up would look strange as well. That's the best compromise I could get.. I think. I'll take another close look at it.

Old 09-12-2015   #930
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on finishing school. I'm looking forward to see what you do to your car this time around.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015   #931
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Updates on the... updates.

Got the RCAs done.

Along with the RCAs, I'm also doing some work to tidy up more of the wiring in the trunk. Screw down zip ties, barrier strips, etc.

Here's what it looked like under the beauty panels.

It'll look a bit cleaner once I'm done.

Also, I had mentioned new sub. Here's what I had..

Out with the old, in with the new. Acoustic Elegance TD10X-4.

With the direction I'm going with the system now, I'm less concerned with being able to get under 20Hz from the front sub enclosure and am instead looking for more detail/attack/impact and a higher efficiency, higher energy type sound. This sub, while providing just a hair less output in the low bass, is nearly a full 10 dB more efficient than the Alpine. And in the enclosure I have, has a lower qtc. All of which I'm hoping will provide the sound I'm looking for. The Alpine was a beast. It could get looow and loud and pound. No EQ necessary to get 20Hz flat. But the box was a bit too small for it so it could be a bit muddy in the midbass.

Here's how they model.

Today I have to recarpet the sub enclosure and amp rack, terminate the speaker wire in the trunk, run the new RCAs, install the new sub, and put everything back together. Hoping I can get it all done today. We'll see.

Last edited by strakele; 09-24-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-23-2015   #932
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 153 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

I always wondered how subs with the phase plug sounded,interesting.
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015   #933
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm about to find out I guess. I'm sure it will be great.

I believe the idea behind the phase plugs is A) it lowers power compression and B) it aids top end extension. On axis in a home build, with the ultra low inductance, these can play up high enough to meet a tweeter/ribbon.

Old 09-24-2015   #934
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Well as it turns out, the phase plug is an issue. It allows air to pass from inside the enclosure, resulting in that leaky sealed box sound

Depending on how they're used, it wouldn't necessarily be an issue, but for me since the enclosure is in the cabin with me, it has to be perfectly sealed. So I asked John about the effects of replacing the phase plug with a standard dust cap. I'm thinking it won't be much change in the frequency band I'm concerned with.

Otherwise, it definitely has the lively, aggressive, higher efficiency sound that I was after.

So here's the install so far, pending further developments.

Pulled out the Alpine, ripped off the old carpet, and enlarged the cutout 1/8" for the wider spokes on the TD10's basket.

Gave it a quick shot with some black paint as background for the carpet later.

Threaded inserts for 10-24 machine screws

Carpeted

Stuffed

And speaker installed. Not shown, a ring of carpet for a bit of gasket material since I'm not using the thick rubber gasket supplied by AE.

Got the amp rack back in today but the wiring isn't quite finished being organized yet. Everything makes noise again though, so that's good.

Old 09-24-2015   #935
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 127 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Good deal so far, how is the enclosure secured in the front of your vehicle ?

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 FOR Sale with grill.
^^^ FOR SALE
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015   #936
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 112 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Good deal so far, how is the enclosure secured in the front of your vehicle ?
This is something I have wondered about for a while. I would love to do something similar but have no clue really how to secure it without punching more holes in the frame. That's something I am really scared of on a Lexus Hybrid.

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015   #937
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Take off the glovebox and kick panel, shoehorn it in under the front edge of the dash (it's ridiculously tight) and then reinstall the glovebox/kick panel and it's held in.

Mic did a similar install in his Lancer and bolted it through the floor and said it helped, but I didn't want to have to remove the speaker every time I wanted to pull the box out. And also didn't want to drill through the floor.

Old 09-24-2015   #938
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 112 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Take off the glovebox and kick panel, shoehorn it in under the front edge of the dash (it's ridiculously tight) and then reinstall the glovebox/kick panel and it's held in.

Mic did a similar install in his Lancer and bolted it through the floor and said it helped, but I didn't want to have to remove the speaker every time I wanted to pull the box out. And also didn't want to drill through the floor.
Thanks for that man. I don't know if that will work for my ride as the glove box sits really high being an suv. Something to seriously consider when the time comes. Whenever that may be. Money issues right now. That, and looks like the SI BM MKV might not happen which was the end plan.

Old 09-24-2015   #939
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

My car already had a bolt coming through the fire wall that held some plasticky stuff......Just added a clamp to the enclosure and used the existing bolt / nut to secure it to the firewall....it just takes a LONG socket extender and a 10mm socket to get mine out.

bertholomey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015   #940
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Another question for you gents. When you guys built these enclosures did you take out your floor carpet or did you build these enclosures over top of the carpet? If you guys pulled the carpet, how did you go about it? Mine is all one piece and would have to be cut out. Really don't like that idea but it would allow a fair amount larger enclosure volume likely. Anyways, curious what you two did.

Old 09-24-2015   #941
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Over the top of the carpet, but took out the big foam block behind it to gain more volume. With the enclosure out and speaker wire tucked away, it looks stock.

Good to see you back here Jason

Old 09-24-2015   #942
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Over the top of the carpet, but took out the big foam block behind it to gain more volume. With the enclosure out and speaker wire tucked away, it looks stock.

This is kind of what I have planned actually. We'll see if I ever get around to actually doing it. This year is now out due to money and now weather.

Old 09-24-2015   #943
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Same exact thing here......the styrofoam pad under the carpet was taken out, and the enclosure is molded in over the carpet - I'm not sure a credit card could go between the enclosure and the center console.

I'm enjoying seeing what you are doing here!!!

bertholomey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015   #944
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

While being away at some training I've been discussing the phase plug issue with John at AE. Since there's no pole vent on the TD woofers, it's not as simple as just unscrewing the phase plug and gluing on a dust cap. So, he's going to build me a custom speaker with the TD10X soft parts, a motor with a vented pole piece, and a dust cap. The existing parameters should change very little, so it should be exactly what I need! Pretty cool.

Old 10-18-2015   #945
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
While being away at some training I've been discussing the phase plug issue with John at AE. Since there's no pole vent on the TD woofers, it's not as simple as just unscrewing the phase plug and gluing on a dust cap. So, he's going to build me a custom speaker with the TD10X soft parts, a motor with a vented pole piece, and a dust cap. The existing parameters should change very little, so it should be exactly what I need! Pretty cool.
That is awesome! I am anxious to hear how you like it.
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015   #946

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Self Employed/Car Audio Enthusiust
Position:
Boss

Rep Power: 74 Basshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enough

I just went through the many transitions of this build very nice build digging the a pillars

2009 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Basshertz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015   #947
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks man I appreciate it. Where in Texas are you?

Old 10-19-2015   #948

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Position:
Boss

Rep Power: 74 Basshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enoughBasshertz1 will become famous soon enough

I'm actually about 10 miles south of Waco which is 2 hrs north of Austin. I was raised in Waco though

Old 10-19-2015   #949
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Cool. I'll be moving to Abilene soon and will occasionally have get togethers there once getting settled in.

Old 10-19-2015   #950

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Position:
Boss

Quote:
Cool. I'll be moving to Abilene soon and will occasionally have get togethers there once getting settled in.
I'm always down to check out another ride especially one that has had this many hours put into it. I haven't started my 08 Chevy crew yet still getting my equipment together but I've been in audio for 20 years always built for others it is finally my turn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement