DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Momma jokes aside, this thread really changed the way I thought about 6X9's (and other ovals, for that matter). Thanks OP for bringing this up, this was one of the few reasonable, thought-provoking discussions in this section.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know this thread had died off. But now that chrysler/dodge has been using 6x9 in almost all of their cars and trucks and it's even the driver size of choice in the dodge challenger top Harman Marion audio package. Do u think others will catch on and start putting 6x9 or even 7x10 in their cars? I know for me I'm really into using oval speakers for my doors now. My buddy switched out his 8" sls for a pair of 6x9 and is now never going back. His only gripe is he desires just a Lil more output but he is happy and I'm sold now. I see eric Stevens is now with cadence and they have a 8x12. I wonder if he will bring his ideas on oval drivers to their product line. Btw I wanna try to see if I could fit a 8x12 coaxial or 7x10 in the doors. Car is a dodge challenger.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I know this thread had died off. But now that chrysler/dodge has been using 6x9 in almost all of their cars and trucks and it's even the driver size of choice in the dodge challenger top Harman Marion audio package. Do u think others will catch on and start putting 6x9 or even 7x10 in their cars? I know for me I'm really into using oval speakers for my doors now. My buddy switched out his 8" sls for a pair of 6x9 and is now never going back. His only gripe is he desires just a Lil more output but he is happy and I'm sold now. I see eric Stevens is now with cadence and they have a 8x12. I wonder if he will bring his ideas on oval drivers to their product line. Btw I wanna try to see if I could fit a 8x12 coaxial or 7x10 in the doors. Car is a dodge challenger.
Eric Stevens is with Cadence?

Kelvin

·
11,394 Posts
Yeah...been there for a while. Both he and Matt (I think Matt is still there). He is still going to do his own stuff that has been in the works.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Yeah...been there for a while. Both he and Matt (I think Matt is still there). He is still going to do his own stuff that has been in the works.
I knew for Matt but never knew for Eric.

Good stuff :D

Kelvin

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just got my system tuned up and kept the stock 6x9 (2009 Lexus RX 350) and let me tell you the proof is in the DSP & amp. I've had JL Audio z 6.5 with their amps and these 6x9's rip them. (Just as impressive as a side note is the stock doors of the RX 350 and how they vibrate very, VERY little when the system is turned up loud) Granted I'm running JL 100/6 to each and that alone made a difference over the pitiful 135 watt Pioneer amp. SOO very impressed at the tuning and how much power these stocks can handle at high volume. Surprised me. Not sure sure I'd want to go back to 6.5" but maybe 8" mid bass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is an old post but since subject was on 6x9's has anyone heard the the beastly built Focal 7x10??? id really like to hear opinions from someone familiar with these speakers? thanks Jim

·
Registered
571 Posts
Pretty happy with mine. They can pound. it's any wonder as TWo 6x9's is like having a one ten woofer up front. Shakes the pant legs, vibrates the rear view mirror and tickles the tshirt on the right songs. However, I'm curious how two 8's would do.....
Anyway those Focal look like beasts! NICE.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread...

I was just wondering this myth/round vs oval, and posted in the system design area..

The performer 6x9's back in the 80s were the JBL's. They had the intro I think to have the Ti tweeters in them. Also the main reason they distorted was mostly the 2 or 3 way design inside the woofer...well it wasn't much the speakers fault as the user...due to the deeper lows the speaker was ABLE to do, with the tweets within/axis they would be over driven, thinking they can do low sub levels...of course they would distort. But now with separate driver and tweeter, thats less of a problem.

Also those Infinity plates posted are from A/D/S design, which first made them, then Boston saw the success in small 911 doors came out with a set. I maybe mistaken but AR/Teledyne may have had a pair around ADS time as well.

I just picked up a pair of older 6x9 separates, and will see how they do. I am putting them in the rear doors, with tweets off axis neer door handle, and I'm using 2 or 3way 6.5" up front. I think it will do fine.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I just got a cherry low mileage GMC 1500 crew cab truck with the uplevel non Bose 8" lcd system with the Kicker 10" accessory sub. I was surprised at how low the stock fronts played. I pulled off the door trims and found a 6x9. So I added mlv on the outer skin about 65-70% coverage, and then sealed up all the holes. Put the oem sound pad back and back together it went.

I was SHOCKED at the improvement!!! So yeah, that surface area is in play, and I now ditched plans for a 6.5 install. I could toss my alpine V9 and RF 360.3 in there, my cdt 2" in the top dash, tune it up and I would probably be very happy.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I can say with 100% comfort that the Audiofrog gs690's are incredible. Angled the way they are they have the beaming pattern of a 6" and cone area of an 8". How could you possibly go wrong? Clean sounding too.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My Magnum has factory 6x9's in the door, and they have pretty incredible bass response for a factory speaker. I'm going to be replacing them at some point, but it will be with another 6x9. Possibly the Frogs or maybe some CDT's, but regardless, they'll be 6x9's. I've never had a 6.5" that could produce the same amount of bass.

I remember years back when everyone was raving about the Pioneer 6.75" 720PRS mids, and I bought some, and even those, which I was never all that impressed with, as far as midbass in concerned, can touch my factory Boston 6x9's.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts