DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 1726 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I'm not sure how one would objectively measure this, but I have been subjectively keeping track. Believe it or not, so far, Peel N Seal was the second biggest pain to remove so far, after SDS CLD Tiles. Both Resonance Control and GTMat removed easier and cleaner.
Thanks, I was not expecting a measured test, maybe just take notes on how easy or hard some of them are to remove I appreciate the info you gave us so far

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is a remarkable effort and a tremendous service.

I would be surprised if each manufacturer has conducted such a broad comparison. You can have all sorts of fun with that data once the testing is complete.

Thank-you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for all the effort to compare these different brands. You truly are what this forum is all about!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
what are your thoughts on the gtmat? i got some of the onyx gtmat from them and curious if tested it yet?
I too have used the Onyx, and it makes the regular GTMat feel sissy. Although my doors have a base layer of the regular GT stuff and I used a couple layers, it did work nicely.

The Onyx went into my roof and rear deck.

Can't wait to see the results, thanks 2stub for doing this!!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Peel N Seal

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total thickness - 40mil

Constraining layer thickness - 2mil

0.25 lbs per square foot

Notes - Very very similar to GTMat, just thinner. Same plastic lining between the asphalt/butyl and aluminum. Smells the same. This is so far, the most ridiculously difficult product to removed. (that doesn't mean it will hold up to the heat or time, just that immediately after applying, its the most difficult) I tested this product three times, moving the mic each time. I'm sure some people will cry foul, so I will likely measure again with the whole thing recorded on video.

Bare Metal Frequency Response

Damped Metal Frequency Response

Overlay of Undamped Metal vs Damped Metal Frequency Response

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

Again, pay more attention to the waterfall plots. Peel n Seal does seem to damp vibrations, just not at the main resonant frequency, and only at higher frequencies.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
Alphadamp

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total thickness - 60mil

Constraining layer thickness - 10mil

.55 lbs per square foot

Notes - Feels very stiff. I've been told they use a higher grade tempered aluminum, and just comparing the aluminum layers, it seems like it. Constraining layer measured between 10-11mil, most spots at 10mil. I tested this one more than once as well.

Overlay of Undamped Metal vs Damped Metal Frequency Response

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
These two are very interesting, indeed. I look forward to the continued test results.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I was curious how the Alphadamp performs as that is what is in my doors. It seemed to do a good enough job but I still have a few issues I think. Looks like the STP Bomb is the best stuff so far. Curious what comes out on top. I will likely need to get some more of something so I'm curious. Thanks a pile for doing this too.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Whats interesting to me is the one that performs the best so far, was the easiest to remove, and was also an asphalt product. And the one that performs the worst, was the most difficult to remove, and also an asphalt product. I should get three more tests done today, SDS, Kolossus, and Stinger.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ya I'm actually quite surprised as well.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I'm withholding my CLD order until this is all complete, there's just so much useful info here with a non-biased tester. I don't always give out rep points, but threads like this deserve ALL of them.

So good!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm withholding my CLD order until this is all complete, there's just so much useful info here with a non-biased tester. I don't always give out rep points, but threads like this deserve ALL of them.

So good!
Agreed.. subscribed....

I just put 36 sqft of the stinger roadkill expert in my 07 Ram. I don't know if its just because my dodge is quieter than my 1992 Hard body truck before deadner... or if the original dynamat asphalt stuff from back then was just better. But not as impressed with this CDL stuff. Would be interested to see results on the stinger.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Asphalt-based materials are, IMO, better at blocking noise. CLD, seems to be better deadeners. That's one of the reasons like StP Bomb so much. It's almost like a cross between the two.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
STP Bomb is a special case. I would expect it to block sound better than any other product, as it is denser per square foot than anything else. All else being equal, density is the main factor in a cld's ability to BLOCK noise. That said, my tests are not capable of showing any reliable form of NRC, I purposely aimed at trying to remove that as much as possible from the results. CLD's should not be used as a sound blocker, as being coupled to the chassis, it just won't work as well as a decoupled barrier. It doesn't have to be mass loaded vinyl, it could be anything thin and dense. In fact, if your willing to work with it (and add the weight to your car), you could build a far better decoupled barrier out of raw sheet lead and closed cell foam than anything available on the market.

BFYTW, did you put the same % of coverage in both vehicles, in the same places? There could be hundreds of reasons that it doesn't seem to work as well. For instance, look at the Peel N Seal results. Listening by ear, the Peel N Seal didn't seem as bad as the test results actually are. But, that can be explained by looking at the higher frequency results. Peel N Seal does work on those higher frequency resonances, where the ear is more sensitive. That said, I tested Roadkill Expert last night, and it performs better (to the ear and the mic) than any asphalt product I've tested aside from STP Bomb.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Stinger Roadkill Expert

ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS

Total Thickness - 80mil

Constraining Layer Thickness - 5mil

0.80 lbs per square foot

Notes - This product was off of published specs a little bit in constraining layer, and significantly in density. Published density is 0.65 lbs per square foot, but I measured 0.80 lbs per square foot. The butyl is extremely gooey, almost like chewing gum (also a butyl product). Constraining layer was 1mil short at 5mil vs 6mil as advertised.

Overlay of Bare Metal vs Damped Metal Frequency Response

Bare Metal Waterfall

Damped Metal Waterfall

241 - 260 of 1726 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.